Girl consumes poison mistaking it as cough syrup



Erode: In a tragic incident, a six-year-old girl died after consuming poison mistaking it to be cough syrup, police said on Tuesday.

The girl was playing with her elder brother when she had a bout of coughing. She went inside and consumed the contents of a bottle, presuming it to be cough syrup, police said.

She swooned and fell down, police added, though she was rushed to the nearby hospital, she died.

The girl's parents said they had kept pesticides inside an empty bottle of cough syrup. Police are investigating.

PTI