Meghalaya no to Pawan Hans on resuming services
Shillong: The Meghalaya government has
rejected a proposal of the Pawan Hans Helicopter Limited to
resume its services in the state which were suspended
following the April 30 crash that killed former Arunachal
Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu along with four others.
"Officials of the helicopter service approached us about
a week back, but we have refused," Transport Minister A T
Mondal said on Friday.
Despite the company's assurance of providing brand new
choppers, the government was not convinced considering the
past history of the service, Mondal said.
The state government had earlier written to the Director
General of Civil Aviation for initiating a process of floating
fresh tenders for roping in companies for operating choppers
in the state.
"We are awaiting a response from the DGCA. The Airport
Authority of India has also been asked to give suggestions. We
would be also holding a meeting with IAF officials for
technical help during the bidding process," Mondal said.
Along with Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Sikkim, Nagaland
and Manipur, Meghalaya too had suspended operations of the
Pawan Hans after the April 30 crash.
Tripura and Sikkim have allowed the company to resume its