England match cancelled after London unrest



England match cancelled after London unrest London: England's football friendly against the Netherlands was cancelled here Tuesday after a third day of violent rioting in London, officials confirmed.

A one-line statement from the Football Association confirmed the news which followed a meeting between FA officials and police early Tuesday concerning security arrangements for Wednesday's match at Wembley.

"It is with regret that tomorrow's international fixture with Holland at Wembley (Wednesday 10 August) has been called-off," an FA statement said, adding that more details would follow later.

The unprecedented decision followed the earlier postponement of League Cup matches involving West Ham, Charlton and Crystal Palace after police advice.

England's players were to take part in a training session on Tuesday before returning to their clubs, reports said.

England star Rio Ferdinand responded to the announcement on micro-blogging site Twitter.

"England vs Holland game is off, good call. Who wants to see a game of football when our country is in turmoil," Ferdinand wrote.

"The solution to this is not to just clean up the glass, it's to stop the glass breaking in the first place," Ferdinand added in a separate post.

The Manchester United defender had earlier called for an end to the violence which has raged across Britain.

"The scenes on Sky news right now are shocking..what is this all in aid of?? Innocent peoples homes + livelihoods have gone up in smoke-why?" Ferdinand said.

"It seems these kids/people have no fear or respect for the police....maybe the army will get that respect??

"And I am not saying bring violence, I am saying the presence of the army may make these kids/people think twice about continuing this??"

Team-mate Wayne Rooney added: "These riots are nuts why would people do this to there (sic) own country. Own city. This is embarrassing for our country. Stop please."

British Olympic officials meanwhile expressed confidence that London would be able to host a trouble-free Summer Games next year despite the violence.

"We know the level of work and we know the level of planning that has gone into it," British Olympic Association director of communications Darryl Seibel told Sky Sports News.

"This is not a reflection of London, this is a reflection of the world we live in today."

Police in Birmingham said violence which erupted in the city on Monday would not impact the third Test between England and India, due to get under way at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

England star Kevin Pietersen described the violence in the city as "insane" revealing that the team's city centre hotel doors had been locked as unrest flared throughout the city.

"They have just locked our hotel in Birmingham mate... Riots just started here.. Insane!!" Pietersen said in a Twitter message.

England bowler Tim Bresnan added: "Just seen the rioters in Birmingham fleeing down the main street followed by a load of police in the full get up. What's going on?"

Spinner Graeme Swann chimed in a message late Monday: "Goodnight England. Good luck to those surrounded by the carnage. Be safe."

Bureau Report