2008 Delhi blasts: Court orders expeditious trial
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday ordered
expeditious trial in the September 2008 serial blasts case
saying that the bombings "challenged the existence of a
democratically elected welfare state".
The court, which took up the case for hearing twice a
month, would now hear the matter every Wednesday and the judge
has now directed that at least 15 witnesses would be summoned
for each hearing.
"The trial needs to be further expedited keeping in view
the nature of cases, gravity of offences and the fact that
more than two dozen precious lives were lost and more than 100
innocent people were left injured and maimed in serial blasts
which not only created terror among common people but also
challenged the existence of a democratically elected welfare
state," Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann said.
The court also took into account the fact that there were
over 750 prosecution witnesses in the five cases registered in
the matter and only 29 of them have been examined so far in
"On perusal of record and charge sheets, it is found that
there are more than 750 prosecution witnesses in the five
consolidated cases. Out of them, 29 witnesses have been
examined till date in six hearings.
"...These cases are taken up on second and fourth
Wednesday of every month i.e. two hearings are scheduled in a
month. With this pace, it will take more than six years to
examine the remaining prosecution witnesses," the judge said.
"It is directed that henceforth, these cases shall be
listed for hearing every Wednesday and at least 15 witnesses
be summoned for each hearing."