One killed, 12 injured in Nairobi grenade attacks

One killed, 12 injured in Nairobi grenade attacks Nairobi: One person was killed and 24 were wounded in two grenade attacks in Nairobi on Tuesday, with police suspecting Shebab fighters in what could be retaliation for Kenya's week-old incursion in Somalia.

At least one person was killed and 10 were wounded when someone hurled a grenade during rush hour at a bus stop in the centre of the Kenyan capital, just hours after 14 people were wounded in a grenade attack on a pub.

"One person has died and several have been injured," Peter Mabeya, a senior police official, told agency.

"The blast occurred shortly after 8:00 pm as many commuters were heading home," a police officer on the scene said.

The attack was not far from the Mwauras bar, a busy pub where the first blast occurred.

Police said al Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels could have been involved.

"We are dealing with a dangerous group -- you know Al Shebab have their sympathisers here, and maybe they are the people we are dealing with," national police chief Mathew Iteere said referring to the bar attack.

"The person who lobbed that grenade into the pub was not seen by anybody. ... We are following crucial leads but have not made any arrest so far."

The US embassy in Nairobi warned Saturday of an "imminent threat" of attacks possibly targeting foreigners, one week after Kenyan forces crossed into Somalia to hunt down Shebab fighters.

The embassy cited "credible information of an imminent threat of terrorist attacks directed at prominent Kenyan facilities and areas where foreigners are known to congregate, such as malls and night clubs."

The red-painted Mwauras bar is in the bustling centre of Nairobi, popular with night-clubbers. An AFP journalist said few signs of damage were apparent from the outside of the building, which was guarded by a dozen police.

"We within the police service are doing our best. We have heightened physical security to most of our vital institutions," Iteere told reporters.

"This is our second week in our engagement across the border, and these are some of the things by way of repercussions which we anticipated."

Police put the injury toll at 14, while and medics at Kenyatta hospital said only six had suffered serious wounds.

At the hospital, victims told of panic in the pub.