Aide claims charges against Mirchi in UK dropped



London: British prosecutors, investigating the case against Iqbal Mirchi, have dropped charges that he threatened to kill a man in the UK and has discontinued proceedings against him, the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim's close aide claimed on Monday.

While the Crown Prosecution Service declined to make any comment, Muhammed Iqbal Memon, also known as Iqbal Mirchi said in a statement said the allegations of threats to kill against him were motivated and also blamed the Indian media for portraying him in bad light.

"I am very grateful to the British Justice System for investigating these false allegations against me so expeditiously and discontinuing all proceedings against me.

"I have always protested my innocence and this has now been proven. I believe that the allegations of threats to kill against me were motivated by a conspiracy to blackmail me for money which has been unsuccessful," he said.

Mirchi was earlier charged with attempted murder and produced in the Redbridge Magistrates Court in the UK last month.

He was charged with threatening to kill a 41-year-old man, identified as Nadeem A Kader who also lives in the Hornchurch area of Essex where Mirchi owns a palatial six bedroom house. Earlier reports had said that Kader was a nephew of Mirchi.

"I have been portrayed incorrectly by the Indian press for over 20 years without any evidence. I hope this matter will now bring an end to all malicious reporting against me.

"I am very thankful to god and happy that finally justice has prevailed," the statement said.

PTI