17 people fall ill after chlorine gas leak



Bhubaneswar: At least 17 people fell ill, four of them seriously, after being exposed to chlorine gas which leaked during water purification in Niladri Vihar area here on Saturday evening, police said.

The incident happened due to leakage when chlorine was being mixed in a water tank in the area, Inspector In-Charge of Chandrasekharpur police station, Rabi Satpathy said.

Altogether 17 persons in the vicinity were taken ill after inhalation of the gas, he said adding that the affected people were immediately taken to the Capital Hospital for medical treatment.

The condition of four of the affected persons was stated to be serious. They were placed under close observation. The affected people complained of nausea, suffocation and giddiness and some of them were admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), hospital sources said.

Efforts were on to ascertain the circumstances that led to the incident.

PTI