17 people fall ill after chlorine gas leak
Bhubaneswar: At least 17 people fell ill,
four of them seriously, after being exposed to chlorine gas
which leaked during water purification in Niladri Vihar area
here on Saturday evening, police said.
The incident happened due to leakage when chlorine was
being mixed in a water tank in the area, Inspector In-Charge
of Chandrasekharpur police station, Rabi Satpathy said.
Altogether 17 persons in the vicinity were taken ill
after inhalation of the gas, he said adding that the affected
people were immediately taken to the Capital Hospital for
The condition of four of the affected persons was
stated to be serious. They were placed under close
observation. The affected people complained of nausea,
suffocation and giddiness and some of them were admitted to
the intensive care unit (ICU), hospital sources said.
Efforts were on to ascertain the circumstances that
led to the incident.