Belarus executes Minsk subway bombers
Minsk: Belarus has executed two men convicted for a deadly subway bombing in the capital Minsk last year, Belarusian news agency Belta reported.
The mother of one of the convicts, Vladislav Kovalyov, said her son was executed by shooting.
"I have received a notification saying the verdict had been fulfilled," Lyubov Kovalyova said.
Konovalova said the letter from Belarus' Supreme Court was dated March 16. She maintained that her son had been innocent, and accused the authorities of attempting to "pin their crimes on our children".
The execution of the second convict, Dmitry Konovalov, was also officially confirmed.
Last November, Konovalov and Kovalyov were convicted for the bomb attack at Minsk subway's most crowded station April 11, 2011, which killed 15 people and wounded hundreds.
President Alexander Lukashenko refused to pardon the men despite calls from Western governments and rights groups not to carry out the death sentence. Belarus is the only nation in Europe still allowing capital punishment.