‘No rallies by paramilitary forces to avoid mishap'



New Delhi: Central paramilitary forces will no longer hold jumbo rallies for recruitment to avoid accidents and mishaps, Home Minister P Chidambaram told Rajya Sabha Wednesday.

Only people who cross a certain threshold would be called for physical examination in batches, he said during Question Hour.

ITBP, he said, should not have kept recruitment centre at Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh immediately after an urs.

A person who got injured due to stone pelting outside the recruitment centre during the recruitment of constables in February last year, had died later.

"We have learnt a lesson," he said. "Large rallies, in my view, are no longer correct method of recruitment," he said.

Chidambaram said ITBP had provided information about recruitment to the District Magistrate, Bareilly in January 2011. District Magistrate asked DIG Police, Bareilly and District Chief Medical Officer, Bareilly to make adequate arrangements.

The district administration later said they were over-stretched because of urs on the previous day.

"There was no fault on the part of ITBP except that the rally was held a day after the urs," he said.

PTI