Pakistan's Memo Commission gets six-week extension
Islamabad: Pakistan's Supreme Court on Thursday extended the term of the Memo Commission by six weeks, Geo News reported.
The apex-court-appointed Memo Commission is probing Pakistan-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz's claim to have last year delivered a secret memo to then US joint chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen at the behest of the Pakistani government.
The memo said that Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari feared a coup after al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed last May by US commandos. The existence of the memo triggered a scandal and cost Pakistani ambassador Hussain Haqqani his job.
The Supreme Court is currently hearing a petition filed by Haqqani seeking a video link facility for recording statement and a request by the Memo Commission to extend its deadline.
A 10-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry took up the matter of video link after the Memo Commission rejected Haqqani's request.
Haqqani filed his petition on March 24 seeking equal opportunity to record his statement from London as it was done in the case of Ijaz.
In his application, Haqqani said that he has grave security concerns following Ijaz's allegations.