MP: 24 hospitalised for food poisoning



Khandwa: About 24 devotees were hospitalised with symptoms of food poisoning after they consumed 'Prasad' distributed at a religious discourse here, police said Thursday.

Twelve persons, including seven women, were admitted to a hospital in Sanawad town while rest were referred to Indore. All of them are out of danger, Khandwa Superintendent of Police (SP) Harinarayan Chari Mishra said.

Police said as many as 50 people took ill after consuming prasad at the discourse of Sadhvi Raksha Raje last night.

After eating prasad, the devotees complained of vomiting, stomach pain and uneasiness following which they were immediately taken to a government community health centre, they said.

Mishra told reporters that the sample of the prasad has been seized and its further distribution was immediately stopped.

A probe has been ordered by the Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) into the incident.

PTI