Menon returns home, CM denies secret deal



Zeenews Bureau

Sukma (Chhattisgarh): Chhattisgarh's Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon reached home Friday morning, 13 days after he had been kidnapped by the Maoists.

His wife Asha, who is pregnant, was there to receive him at the door of their home. As he was greeted by his wife and other family members with the traditional 'aarti', scores of media personnel jostled with each other to capture the moment. There were also many locals from Sukma to greet Menon.

Menon, the 32-year-old Indian Administrative Service official, had emerged Thursday from captivity at 6.30 pm, accompanied by Maoist mediators, in Tarmetla, a tiny forested hamlet.

No secret deal, says CM Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh Friday said no secret agreements had been made with Maoists in exchange for the release of Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon.

"The agreement with the Maoists is not a secret document and has been put in the public domain on the website," Raman Singh told reporters here. He was reacting to reports of Maoists claiming that the Chhattisgarh government had agreed to release some prisoners from jail.

"A committee headed by state chief secretary has started its work and it will look into cases registered against innocent people across state jails," he said.

He denied having agreed to any other agreement with Maoists. "Nothing else has been agreed to," he added.

With IANS