2G case nothing but sensationalised by media, part
Coonoor: Former Telecom Minister A Raja, who is prime accused in the 2G scam, on Sunday lashed out at certain political parties and the media for "blowing out of proportion the false charges" against him on the spectrum issue.
The case was nothing but sensationalised by the media and also political parties, Raja, the dalit face of the DMK, alleged at a meeting here.
En route to his parliamentary constituency of Nilgiris, his first since his arrest in February last year, Raja said this was totally unjustifiable.
Claiming that in 2009 the CVC in its findings had put the estimated loss in allocation of 2G spectrum at Rs 22,000 crore, which was "increased" to Rs 1.76 lakh crore by CAG, he said, the investigating agency CBI had brought down the amount to Rs 35,000 crore.
The media was chasing him from "to get (some news) and create sensation," he alleged while saying that he was expressing his feelings before the people who have elected him.
Many politicians were facing corruption charges and they have been accused of amassing wealth disproportionate to their known source of income and his case was "very much different from these cases," the DMK leader claimed.
Moreover, the investigation team that raided and searched the houses of his relatives and friends could not find any unaccounted money or wealth from there, Raja, who was recently released on bail, claimed.
Stating that being a lawyer, he argued and put forward his points on similar lines in Court, Raja, without elaborating, said "the case is presently moving in a different direction."
He expressed confidence that the "journey for justice," which started from Nilgiris, would end in success even as he was placing all facts before the "people's court" after 15 months.
Earlier, Raja was accorded a rousing reception by party workers on arrival at Coimbatore.
A Delhi court had on Thursday allowed Raja to visit Tamil Nadu between June 8 and June 30 accepting his plea.