Other incidents of toddlers falling into borewell
New Delhi: On a day when town five-year-old Mahi lost the battle for life after falling into a 70-foot deep borewell in Manesar near Gurgaon, here are some previous, similar incidents when toddlers were rescued after days of complex operations:
1. Prince, 6, was rescued from a 50-foot deep borewell in Haryana's Kurukshetra after two days of rescue operations back in 2006.
2. In a similar operation, Army personnel rescued two-year-old Sonu after he fell into a 15-feet-deep borewell in Agra.
3. A five-year-old boy fell into a 250-300 feet deep borewell in Jaipur in 2009. While the child was rescued safely, another incident in neighbouring Dausa district was witnessed when four-year-old Anju Gujjar was rescued from a 50-foot deep open borewell.
While the children have been lucky to have survived, there have also been ill-fated incidents where the victims died from their injuries.
1. Eleven-year-old Kirtan Pranami from Palanpur, Gujarat, was not as lucky as Prince and other kids and died after he was trapped in a 100-foot deep borewell back in 2009.
2. Two-year-old Darawath Mahesh fell into a 35-foot borewell and died there after 24 hours near Warangal.
3. Kinjal Man Singh Chauhan, 2, fell in an open borewell in Madeli village in Gujarat and died in 2007. The same year, an open borewell in Shiroor village in Pune claimed the life of a five-year-old child.
4. A four-year-old boy could not survive after falling into a 200-foot deep borewell in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu in 2011.
5. A two-year-old boy, Amit, in 2007 fell in a 56-foot open borewell in a village near Katni in Madhya Pradesh and died.