Over 30 dead, 10 lakh displaced in Assam floods
Guwahati: More than 30 people have died and as many as 10 lakh have been displaced in the flood in Assam - the worst in more than a decade.
The Centre on Saturday reviewed the grim flood situation and assured all help to the state government to tide over the crisis.
Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth chaired a meeting of top Central officials to assess the unprecedented floods in the state. Assam Chief Secretary P C Sharma and state government officials participated in the meeting via video-conference.
An official spokesperson said the floods have damaged railway lines in some parts of the state and action was being taken to restore the same.
The spokesperson said there was adequate stock of food grains in the state.
However, the Centre has assured all possible help to the state government in dealing with the situation, the spokesperson said.
The meeting was attended by Home Secretary R K Singh, Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma, Health Secretary P K Pradhan, Water Resources Secretary D V Singh, Railway Board Chairman V K Mittal and Director General Border Roads Organisation S Ravi Shankar among others.
The Home Ministry, on Friday, had deployed 15 teams of the National Disaster Response Force comprising 548 personnel along with 60 boats and other necessary equipment to carry out rescue and relief operations in the flood-hit districts of the state.
Around 11 lakh people in 2,084 villages in 22 districts are in the grip of the worst floods since 2004, which have destroyed standing crops in over 43,400 hectares, state government officials said.
As many as 173 relief camps have far been set up so far for the succour of the flood victims.
An Indian Air Force helicopter has been deployed for air dropping food packets and rescue the marooned.