Two tribal children at Maha shelter home die of snake bite
Gondia: Two tribal children staying at a shelter home in Makardhokda village in this east Maharashtra district on Thursday died allegedly of snake bite while four others were hospitalised in serious condition.
While Tomesh Bartu Thatmurra (6) reportedly died at the rural hospital in Deori, Bhojraj Punau Marai (6) breathed his last on his way to hospital in Gondia after a poisonous snake bit as many as eight boarders of the Swami Ramkrishna Tribal Hostel, sources said.
The condition of Mahesh Uike (11), Nitin Puram (13) Nutan Tumreki (10) and Kapil Sonar (12) is reported to be serious, they said, adding that the institution is run by Krishna Sahyogi Tantra Shikshan Sanstha.
According to sources, the incident came to light in the wee hours today following which two attendants at the hostel, with the help of two teachers, rushed the children to the local hospital.
Though the doctor on duty at Deori hospital, Dr Bhongade, confirmed that the two children died of a snake bite, he said some of the kids admitted were suffering from "fever."
Meanwhile, hostel superintendent, identified only as Baviskar, and other staff said they were unaware of the children being bitten.