US 'willing' to provide evidence to DSK accuser
New York: Federal authorities in the United States have now said that they are willing to provide the evidence being sought by the New York hotel maid who claimed former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn tried to rape her.
In court papers, the Manhattan US Attorney's Office said Immigration and Customs Enforcement would make "a good-faith effort to be cooperative and resolve this issue without further litigation”.
According to the New York Post, earlier, the feds had said they would fight a subpoena for various records that Nafissatou Diallo wants for her civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn.
Manhattan federal Judge Paul Crotty has given both sides time until October 04 to hammer out a deal over the requested records, which includes audiotapes and transcripts of phone conversations Diallo had with a jailed person a day after Strauss-Kahn was arrested.
According to the paper, but if a "mutually agreeable resolution" can't be reached, the feds said that they will seek to quash Diallo's subpoena on the grounds that the Bronx judge who signed it "lacked subject matter jurisdiction due to ICE's sovereign immunity as a federal agency of the US government”.
The Manhattan DA's Office dropped sodomy and attempted-rape charges against Strauss-Kahn after investigators said they caught Diallo in several lies.
Strauss-Kahn was, however, sacked as IMF chief in the wake of the allegations, and has been engulfed in a series of sex scandals since then.