CAG report: Govt to launch nation-wide campaign to counter oppn
New Delhi: Under attack from the opposition over CAG report on coal blocks allocation, the government is all set to counter it through a nation-wide campaign by key ministers and partymen.
Sources said key ministers like P Chidambaram, AK Antony, along with Congress general secretaries and spokespersons, will travel across the country after the current monsoon session of Parliament to respond to the opposition's "disinformation campaign" against it.
The campaign will start from September 8 and will continue for over a week, said a senior party leader.
They will be briefing partymen and the media and explain to the people how CAG's report was "flawed", Congress sources said.
The government is already studying key aspects of the CAG report and the nomional loss calculated by it for not auctioning the coal blocks and is preparing counter arguments.
Sources said among the key ministers to be deputed to travel are, besides Chidambaram and Antony, are Pawan Kumar Bansal, Kapil Sibal and Salman Khurshid, besides Congress general secretaries and spokespersons.
"They will be disseminating information about losses
calculated by CAG in coal block allocation and the flaws in this calculation to partymen and media to create awareness on the issue," said a Congress minister.
Government has so far maintained there has been no wrongdoing in allocation of coal blocks and there was no question of cancelling them.
On whether the coal block licences will be cancelled en masse, as demanded by the opposition, Parliamentary Affairs minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said "government has to act responsibly".