Delhi HC blast case: Court commences trial against Malik
New Delhi: A court here on Monday commenced the trial against Wasim Akram Malik, arrested by the NIA for his alleged role in the Delhi High Court attack last year.
During an in-chamber hearing, district judge H S Sharma recorded the statement of Amir Abbas Dev, who was also earlier arrested by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for his alleged role in the case but later turned approver and was granted pardon by the judge.
According to court sources, Dev deposed about the alleged planning by Malik and other accused, who are yet to be arrested in connection with the case, to execute the September 7, 2011 blast at the high court's reception in which 15 people were killed and 79 injured.
Dev told the court about the sequence of events which led to the blast and also described the conspiracy hatched between the other accused, the sources said.
He also referred to the statement given by him before a magistrate under section 164 of the CrPC, they said.
The statements recorded by a magistrate under section 164 of the CrPC binds a person and any deviation from it during the trial would make him liable for prosecution for offence of perjury.
The court will continue tomorrow the recording of evidence of Dev who was listed in a charge sheet by the NIA. He later moved an application before the court saying he was willing to turn approver in the case.
Malik is facing trial under the provisions of stringent anti-terror law after the court had found prima facie evidence against him under the Explosive Substance Act, the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and under various sections of the IPC.