3 children dead after house catches fire in Greek village
Thessaloniki: Three brothers, ages 15, 7, and 5, have died in a northern Greek village as a result of a fire that burned down their grandparents' house.
The fire started from a wooden stove and quickly engulfed the house, whose roof collapsed on the two younger children.
The older brother, who tried to rescue his younger siblings, died of smoke inhalation, according to the firefighters who rushed to the scene early today.
The children's grandparents and parents, as well as three other siblings, two girls and a boy, escaped. The father suffered slight burns.
The couple and their 6 youngest children were spending the weekend at the father's parents' house in the village of Mesoropi, 130 kilometers east of Thessaloniki.