Aus radio station assures cooperation in hoax call death probe
London: The owners of the Australian radio station that carried out the prank call which apparently led to an Indian-origin nurse's suicide have assured the King Edward VII's Hospital that the company will cooperate with it in any investigation into the matter.
According to a BBC report, the board of Southern Cross Austereo, which owns the radio station 2DayFM, met yesterday to discuss a highly critical letter from the hospital which was the victim of the prank call.
Its chairman Max Moore-Wilton, in a letter to the chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, assured that the company will cooperate with any investigation.
"We are all saddened by the events of last few days. They are truly tragic.
It is too early to know full details leading to this tragic event and we are anxious to review the results of any investigation that may be made available to us or made public. We can assure you that we will fully cooperate with all investigations," the letter said.
Wilton also assured of taking immediate action and reviewing the broadcast processes involved.
Indian-origin nurse Jacintha Saldanha was found dead three days after putting through a call that gathered details of the pregnant Kate, Duchess of Cambridge's condition.
Her unconscious body was found last Friday morning at the staff accommodation close to the hospital.
An inquest into Saldanha's apparent suicide is due to be opened in the next few days.
There has been a strong reaction in the UK and Australia towards the DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who had made the hoax call.
Both have been taken off air and are receiving counselling.
A Southern Cross Austereo spokeswoman said both the DJs have deleted their Twitter accounts, but have expressed their desire to speak to the media.
"We haven't ascertained when they're ready for that and how we're going to organise that, but they certainly want to," the spokeswoman said.
Saldanha's husband Ben Barboza has written a tribute to her on his Facebook page.
"I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances. She will be laid to rest in Shirva, India," he wrote.
Indian-origin Labour MP Keith Vaz also visited the aggrieved family yesterday, and informed that the Mangalorean community will be organising a memorial service for her next week.
Vaz, Chairman of the Home Affairs Committee, said the family is "grief stricken and shocked" at Saldanha's death.
Family members are grateful to the hospital for establishing a memorial fund in her name, he said.
Meanwhile, Prince William decided not to attend the British Military Tournament in London yesterday.
A St James' Palace spokesman said Williams opted to spend the day privately with the duchess, who had been in hospital with an extreme form of morning sickness.