Fresh fire reported from Chandni Chowk
New Delhi: Fresh fire has been reported from the capital’s popular Chandni Chowk market. On Thursday evening also, a major fire had broken out in the congested electricals and electronics market, Bhagirath Palace.
Firemen had battled for three hours to douse yesterday’s fire. At least 20 shops were gutted but no casualties were reported.
Delhi Fire Service director AK Sharma had said yesterday, “It is too early to reveal the reason for the fire. It may be due to electrical short circuit.”
"I was inside my shop... I ran outside on hearing the commotion and found a blaze on the second floor of the building," Ved Prakash, who owns Royal Electricals on the ground floor, said.
At least 20 shops of electronic goods and cables were gutted in the fire that started from second floor and spread to fifth floor of the building.
As many as 1,400 shops are located inside the building, said an officer.