Wednesday: Deadliest day for IED blasts, bombings in 2012
New Delhi: Wednesday has proved to be the deadliest as a maximum number of bombings and IED blasts in the country last year took place on this day of the week.
Out of the total 241 Improvised Explosive Device (IED) explosions across the country last year, a maximum of 47 incidents took place on Wednesday followed by 37 incidents on the preceding day of the week, Tuesday.
Thursday and Friday saw 35 such incidents, while Sunday saw 32 IED blasts, Monday 28 and Saturday registered 27 such explosions.
The data has been compiled and released by the National Bomb Data Centre (NBDC) of the NSG which is the national repository of such incidents, its causes and analysis in the country.
The centre is based at the National Security Guard (NSG) garrison in Manesar in Gurgaon.
The NBDC, which aims to minimise the effect of these blasts by way of educating and training security forces officials and personnel, also reported that 77 percent of these incidents (185) were caused due to high explosives while the remaining 56 incidents (23 percent) were due to low explosives blast.
The largest number of such blasts were aimed to hit the public (117 incidents making it 49 percent) while security and police forces bore the brunt in 90 instances constituting 37 percent of the total number of targets of these blasts which maimed or killed many of the victims.
During the last year, a total of 113 people, including security forces (66) were killed in these blasts carried out either by IEDs or regular explosives. A total of 419 people were injured in these blasts in 2012.
As many as 325 unexploded IEDs were also recovered during the same period.