Assam violence toll rises to 20, Army stages flag march
Goalpara/Guwahati: The Army on Wednesday staged flag march in areas hit by violence in Assam's Goalpara district where shoot-at-sight orders were issued even as Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said he would recommend a CBI inquiry into the unrest in which the toll rose to 20.
One more death was reported from the Rakshashini area under Mornoi police station in the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) limits where an indefinite curfew was on after violence broke out during panchayat elections yesterday, IGP (Law and Order) A Rout told a news agency.
Two houses were burnt in the Bhaluk Dubi area near Goalpara town tonight and two fire brigade personnel who went there with fire tenders to douse the flames received bullet injuries.
Rout said the circumstances under which the two fire brigade personnel were injured were not immediately known as investigations were on.
Earlier in the day, Gogoi told reporters that his government would ask for a CBI investigation and a judicial inquiry would look into lapses and shortcomings on the part of the administration.
"The CBI has investigating powers and it will look into issues like finding the culprits, while the judicial inquiry will cover shortcomings and lapses," he said.
Meanwhile, counting of votes for the panchayat polls in the district has been postponed from tomorrow till February 15 and the entire exercise now would be completed within one day, official sources said.
With the indefinite curfew continuing in Krishnai and Mornoi areas since yesterday, they said the movement of people by river and other water-bodies in the district between 3 pm and 7 am was banned by the district administration till further orders to prevent movement of miscreants.
The army deployed since yesterday was carrying out flag marches in the trouble-torn areas of Goalpara district, which is the nerve centre of the Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee, who are opposed to panchayat polls, the sources added.