J&K HC asks SSP to comply with DIG's direction
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Tuesday directed SSP Anantnag to entrust the alleged 2001 fake encounter case involving Army Chief General Bikram Singh to a gazetted officer to verify claims that a man killed in the incident was a civilian and not a Pakistani militant.
"The writ petition is disposed of with a direction to SSP Anantnag to entrust the matter as directed by DIG South Kashmir Range to a Gazetted Officer for necessary inquiry in terms of said order with reasonable dispatch unmindful and uninfluenced by the observations made herein," Justice Hasnain Masoodi said in his 18-page order.
He also directed that the report of the inquiry officer be submitted to Deputy Inspector General of Police, South Kashmir Range, Anantnag, for further necessary action.
The order case on a plea by Zaitoona, a woman from north Kashmir Kupwara district who was assisted by an NGO YES Kashmir, seeking reinvestigation into the case.
She had earlier made a representation before the DIG South Kashmir who had directed SSP Anantnag to entrust the matter to a Gazetted Officer but the high court noted that there was nothing to show that the the order was carried out.
According to police, militants ambushed an army convoy at Janglat Mandi in Anantnag on March 1, 2001, which led to a brief encounter between army and militants.
Colonel JP Janu and rifleman Ganesh Kumar were killed on the spot in the cross firing while Brigadier Bikram Singh (now Army Chief) and other two army personnel, travelling in the army convoy, sustained injuries.
The encounter also claimed life of two civilians -- Mohammad Shafi Shah and Abdul Ahad Sheikh. Another man, identified by police as dreaded militant of Hizbul Mujhaideen, Mateen Chacha, was also killed in the gunbattle.