Delay in resumption of mining might trigger violen
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday expressed apprehension that growing impatience among people in the aftermath of ban on mining activity could precipitate into a "flare-up".
Parrikar said his government has limited options at disposal if such eventuality arises as people are agitated over the loss of livelihood, following an interim ban on mining by supreme court last year.
"Things are boiling up slowly in the mining area. I have received a police report about people being impatient (due to closure of mining activity)...Don't be surprised if you find violence or suicide in the mining belt," Parrikar told reporters here.
The supreme court in its interim order on the petition filed by an NGO, Goa Foundation, last year stopped extraction and transportation of ore in the state, pending inquiry by Central Empowered Committee (CEC).
Responding to a query, Parrikar said the government can not do much to stop the situation from deteriorating.
"What can state government do? Whatever we plan to do, we have already announced through Governor's speech (to the State legislative Assembly session recently)," the chief minister said.
The state government had announced a financial package to the people affected by closure of mining activity.
The Parrikar-led government recently filed an affidavit in the apex court requesting early resumption of mining, which is countered by Goa Foundation on whose petition the supreme court last year imposed interim ban on the activity.
Without naming Claude Alvares, the environmentalist who had filed the petition in supreme court, Parrikar said he was concerned over his safety.
"I am concerned about his (Alvares') safety," he said.
Parrikar said the current situation could be reversed only after resumption of mining activity or dump (low grade rejects piled up on the mining leases) handling.