Sanjay Dutt wants more time to surrender, moves Supreme Court
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted under the Arms Act in the 1993 Bombay blasts case, moved the Supreme Court on Monday seeking more time to surrender.
He pleaded that he should be granted more time to surrender in order to complete his film projects as huge money has been invested by the producers in these projects and these would be affected.
The Bollywood actor's case will be heard on Tuesday. He has to surrender on or before April 18.
On March 21, the Supreme Court had upheld Dutt's conviction under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and sentenced him to five years in jail.
He was asked to surrender in four weeks to serve his remaining term of about three-and-a-half years.
As Dutt has already served 18 months in jail, he would have to undergo the imprisonment for three-and-a-half-years.
Interestingly, Dutt had earlier said that he will abide by the Supreme Court’s verdict and will surrender within the given time frame.
Dutt had also revealed that he won’t seek pardon from the Governor in the case. He had said, "I have the highest respect for Supreme Court's terms and conditions put on me. I want to thank whoever supported us during the ordeal."
Justice Markandey Katju, the chairman of the Press Council of India, in a letter to President Pranab Mukherjee last month, sought pardon for Sanjay Dutt under Article 72 of the Constitution.
Katju wrote that Dutt acquired the weapon for self-defence and not for any terrorist activity. Since he was not involved in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, justice, in Dutt's case, should be tempered with mercy, the retired judge held.
Other three convicts -- Zaibunisha Anwar Kazi, Issaq Mohd
Hajwane and Shariff Abdul Gafoor Parker alias Dadabhai -- also approached the apex court for extension of time to surrender.
They pleaded the court that time limit fixed by the apex court be extended till their clemency plea is decided by the President.
(With PTI Inputs)