Prince William to quit Air Force base?
London: Prince William is to leave his Royal Air Force (RAF) base within a few months, saying it is the right time to move on, as the father-to-be wants to spend more time with wife Kate, according to a media report on Sunday.
The second-in-line to Britain's throne, William is based at Anglesey, where he is nearing the end of a three-year tour of duty as a Sea King search and rescue helicopter pilot.
According to a report in 'The Sunday Times', the 31-year-old father-to-be has told his commanding officer at RAF Valley search and rescue force that he has decided it is the right time to "move on".
"They have enjoyed their time in Anglesey but they have both made it clear that it is time to move on," the newspaper quoted a source as saying.
It remains unclear whether he will take up other duties in the armed forces following the move this summer.
The Duke of Cambridge, who is expecting his first child with wife Kate Middleton in July, had said that he plans to be a "hands on" dad and will not take up a job that requires him to be away from home for long periods during the baby's first year.
The move will mean the Duke and Duchess will leave behind the seclusion of Anglesey, an island off the coast of Wales, and split their time between Kensington Palace in London and Anmer Hall in Norfolk.
One issue behind William's decision to leave RAF Valley is said to be his opposition to the privatisation of the search and rescue service.
The prince had lobbied Prime Minister David Cameron about the controversy back in 2010 but the plans went ahead and a Texas-based firm won the 1.6-billion pounds contract last month to replace the Sea Kings.
The key decision facing Prince William now is whether to take up full-time royal duties as his 87-year-old grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, cuts down on her travel.