Senior lawyer and AAP legislator HS Phoolka on Tuesday resigned as the Leader of Opposition in the Punjab Assembly to be able to continue to fight cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots victims in courts.
"If water is not used judiciously and saved optimally, then water emergency is written on the wall in the times to come," Power and Irrigation minister Rana Gurjeet Singh said while talking to reporters at the residence of Harjit Singh Parmar here last night.
The mercury in most places in Haryana and Punjab remained below 30 degrees Celsius on Thursday as widespread rain kept the region cool.
National Democratic Alliance's (NDA) presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind met the legislators of Haryana and Punjab on Thursday to seek support in next month's Presidential election.
He had said the move would benefit a total of 10.25 lakh farmers, including 8.75 lakh farmers up to 5 acres.
The Punjab Council of Ministers had, on June 19, approved the proposal to amend the state excise act.
The guidelines have been issued showing respect to the national anthem under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
"They have reduced the assembly to a battleground due to their inter and intra party power struggles," he said.
In December last year, the Supreme Court passed a ruling forbidding sale of liquor within 500 metres of highways, provoking outcry from several states.
Upset over the treatment meted out to legislators by assembly staff on Thursday, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and Shiromani Akali Dal members on Friday walked out of the Punjab assembly on the last day of the budget session.
The marshals, including a woman, alleged that one of them ended up with a fractured arm.
Main opposition Aam Aadmi Party and ally Lok Insaaf Party (LIP) MLAs were physically removed out of the Punjab assembly here on Thursday by the Marshals after they created a ruckus.
Pandemonium prevailed inside the Punjab assembly on Thursday after a Sikh legislator from the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) alleged that his turban was taken off as marshalls pushed his party legislators out of the house.
Two .32 bore pistols, four magazines and cartridges have been recovered from their possession.
In a shocking incident, thieves stole nearly Rs 3,000 from the Jallianwala Bagh Martyrs' Well, where hundreds jumped to escape firing by British troops in 1919.
A poverty-stricken 21-year-old man allegedly laced burgers with poison killing his four siblings before taking his own life here.
The third international Yoga Day was celebrated with great enthusiasm across the twin states of Haryana and Punjab.
Two persons were arrested here after 36 boxes of illegal liquor seized from a deserted place on the outskirts of the city, police said on Tuesday.
Ahead of the state budget, the Punjab Council of Ministers (CoM), led by Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, on Monday gave its nod to remove hotels, restaurants and clubs from the restrictions on serving of liquor within 500 meters of highways.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Monday announced total waiver of entire crop loans for small and marginal farmers in Punjab.
Blaming the 10 years of SAD "misrule" for the current state of the farmers in Punjab, the chief minister pointed out that 7,000 cultivators committed suicide during the previous government's tenure.
In 1961, 9.25 acres of land was acquired to increase the capacity of the water works at Abohar and people from whom the land was acquired were given adequate compensation.
Fire Prevention Act would also be enacted by the department: Navjot Singh Sidhu
Chaos erupted in the Punjab assembly on Thursday after the opposition Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and Shiromani Akali Dal insisted on separate adjournment motions leading to clashes.
Three gangsters allegedly committed suicide when they found themselves surrounded by Punjab and Haryana police in a village in Haryana's Sirsa district.
"All seven farmer organisations held dharnas outside the offices of all the deputy commissioners in the state in support of their demands.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Saturday congratulated Britain's first female Sikh MP and first turban-wearing MP, along with 10 other Indian-origin lawmakers who were elected to the House of Commons in the UK.
He avoided taking VIP entry and stood in queue along with other devotees to reach sanctum sanctorum of the Golden Temple.
The various matters listed for the budget session, scheduled from June 14 to June 23, will be taken up in the meeting.
- Track repair was being carried out without station master's permission - Watch report
- Chandigarh roads flood with monsoon water, 112 mm rains in 3 hours
- Watch: First official briefing after Muzaffarnagar train accident
- Can Indian trains provide safer journeys to passengers in future?
- PM Modi meets 13 Chief Ministers of BJP governed states
- SC grants bail to Lt Col Purohit in Malegaon blast case
- President Ram Nath Kovind presents National Flag to Ladakh's Scout Battalion
- Public, private sector should work together in healthcare sector, says FM Arun Jaitley
- Mira Bhayandar Municipal Corporation (MBMC) poll results 2017: As it happened
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Will Surya Grahan be visible in India?
- Supreme Court bars triple talaq, calls it 'unconstitutional'
- Delhi police arrests Siddharth Mehrotra, the thief who targeted netas, businessman to fund his luxurious life
- WATCH: Lightning quick MS Dhoni produces yet another impressive stumping, sends Lasith Malinga packing
- Survival is a distant dream for Assam man who has to go through life with 59-inch stomach
- SC sets aside triple talaq, terms it void and unconstitutional: As it happened
- This man’s funny pose and hilarious Twitter reactions will leave you in splits
- Beijing is back with a new anti-India video, wants to 'strengthen trust and manage disputes'
- AIADMK merger: As it happened
- Doklam standoff: If Chinese troops enter India, there will be "utter chaos", says Beijing
- Annabelle Creation: Woman screams in horror after watching spooky film – See VIDEO
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Here's what happened when Archana Puran Singh replaced Navjot Singh Sidhu
- Sasikala uses 'barricaded corridor' in jail premises as private space, claims former DIG Roopa
- Toilet: Ek Prem Katha – Akshay Kumar starrer packs a solid punch at the Box Office