Ahead of the key Paris climate change summit this year, the US and Brazil today agreed on an ambitious agenda to mitigate the challenges posed by climate change, as they underlined the need for a deal that reflects the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that negotiations on a new climate pact to keep global warming from reaching dangerous levels are moving at a "snail's pace" and must be speeded up.
China, the world`s top CO2 polluter, promised Tuesday to peak emissions within about 15 years, in a move widely hailed as a boost for the global effort to curb planet warming.
Concerned over the growing waste menace, including plastic scrap, the government intends to impose fines on street vendors for providing substandard plastic carry bags among a slew of other stringent measures to tackle the issue.
The Environment Ministry has planned upgrading of three common effluent treatment plants (CETPs), which treats the discharge of 440 highly-polluting tanneries on the main stem of river Ganga, into zero liquid discharge (ZLD) units.
A total of 920 industries in India have installed 24X7 pollution monitoring devices and another 400 have moved towards zero liquid discharge (ZLD), Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Tuesday.
The government proposes to introduce soon a new "sustainable sand mining" bill to curb illegal mining in river beds, union Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Tuesday.
Lions roaming among humans may be a scary thought for many, but to those who live close to the Gir National Park, it is a matter of pride, says filmmaker Praveen Singh, whose documentary "India's Wandering Lions" captures the incredible tolerance of the people to the big cats.
Researchers have developed a new, high-quality rice flour which they claim can help alleviate global food poverty.
A solar-powered aircraft on a round-the-world flight was high above the Pacific Ocean Tuesday, over a quarter of the way to Hawaii after leaving Japan, the mission website showed.
Coral reefs are fragile and in danger worldwide, but a growing movement to restore them is based on the science of breaking off pieces in order to grow more, known as coral gardening.
China is about to submit its long-awaited national pledges to reduce carbon emissions beyond 2020, ahead of the Paris climate summit, Premier Li Keqiang said Monday.
Expressing concern over the scale and frequency of disasters taking place globally, experts today said the world is at an "important stage" to deal with climate change and laid stress on "very strong" community- oriented activity to tackle the issue.
Warming oceanographic conditions and fishing pressure are driving nesting seabirds away from their ancestral breeding grounds in the Gulf of Mexico into California harbours, a study has found.
The Swiss-made solar-powered plane, Solar Impulse 2, on Monday started its second bid at a record-breaking flight across the Pacific Ocean.
A conservation group plans to move seven lions from South Africa to a national park in Rwanda, where it says the lion population was wiped out 15 years ago.
With the death of nine Asiatic lions following heavy rains in Gujarat, a wildlife body has requested Union minister Prakash Javadekar not to challenge in Supreme Court the shifting of lions from Gir National Park to Palpur-Kuno wildlife sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh.
Archaeologists have found a 5,500-year-old ceramic vessel bearing the fingerprint of the artisan who made it.
When an iceberg breaks off into the ocean, the glacier moves rapidly backward and downward, causing the characteristic glacial earthquakes, says a new research.
Students tend to learn and perform better in an informal environment rather than in a rigid classroom atmosphere, reveals an experiment.
Continents may have first risen above the oceans about three billion years ago -- about a billion years earlier than geoscientists thought -- reveals a study.
Heavy rains, which led to a flood-like situation in Gujarat, has left eight lions dead in Krankach of the Amreli district of the state.
The death toll of Asiatic lions following heavy rains has climbed to nine, with the recovery of four more carcasses from Amreli district of Gujarat Saturday, officials said.
Prevention of massive land-use changes due to infrastructural projects in the Western Ghats could help conserve leopard cats and other small carnivores, says a new study. It establishes the region as a potential stronghold for the leopard cat population.
At a time when global warming is threatening the very survival of coral reefs, some coral populations already have genetic variants necessary to tolerate warm ocean waters, a new study says.
Fossil fuel divestment would be ineffective on its own as a means of halting global warming, software billionaire and philanthropist Bill Gates said Friday.
A new study, using NASA data, has suggested that rainwater can save people in India a bucket of money.
Tibet is highly vulnerable to climate change and its preservation is urgently needed, the 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje, the third most important Tibetan religious head, said on his 30th birthday on Friday.
With the onset of monsoon, birds have made Bhitarkanika in Odisha's Kendrapara district their temporary abode again.
Surprisingly strong rains in an El Nino year, typically marked by droughts in parts of Asia, have eased concerns of a lower crop output in the region.
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- Aapke Sitare, June 29: Astro prediction for Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces
- Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa launches first phase of Chennai Metro
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Fast N Facts @ 9 am
- Watch: Fast n Facts @ 4 pm
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 2 pm
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Beware of infectious diseases during rainy season!
- Aapke Sitare, June 29: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Arvind Kejriwal knew Jitender Singh Tomar possessed fake degree: Yogendra Yadav
- Delhi HC refuses to restrain Meena from entering ACB office
- AAP stages protests, demands resignation of four 'tainted' BJP ministers over alleged impropriety
- Protest in Bihar over lynching of school director
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa launches first phase of Chennai Metro via video-conferencing
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Tunisia terror attack: Have to counter ISIS' poisonous ideology, says David Cameron
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!
- Solar plane takes off for Hawaii from Japan