Modi said it was imperative to make renewable energy much cheaper and more reliable, and the conventional sources cleaner, while developing newer sources that are green.
The world leaders at the UN Climate Change Conference on Monday pushed for investment in green energy on a global level and to secure a common agreement among the nations to tackle climate change.
Air pollution in Delhi continued to choke its residents on Monday with the air quality index (AQI) touching the dangerous 408 mark.
As the Paris summit opens, 183 countries have submitted pledges for greenhouse gas (GHG) curbs to the UN.
Estimates based on plans submitted by the least-developed countries toward a new UN deal to curb global warming show they will cost some $93 billion a year from 2020.
The heavy smog is likely to continue in the morning, according to the provincial meteorological centre.
The voluntary pledges -- dubbed Intended Nationally Determined Contributions or INDCs -- will help cap global warming at two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over pre-Industrial Revolution levels.
As the air pollution in the national capital rose to hazardous levels, experts suggested that residents take taking precautionary measures such as wearing anti-pollution face-masks even when indoors as the suspended particles can enter houses through windows.
Ahead of the UN climate change talks beginning in Paris, India's Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das on Sunday stressed the need for "genuine provision" of climate change finance from developed to developing countries instead of "clever accounting".
Tens of thousands of people packed the streets of the Spanish capital city of Madrid at lunchtime on Sunday as they formed part of the worldwide Global March for Climate.
"The world is concerned about climate change. Earth's temperature should not further increase; this is the responsibility of everyone," he said in his 14th 'Mann Ki Baat' radio address to the nation.
Delegates are in little doubt that the shadow cast over the French capital by the terror attacks of November 13 that killed 130 people will enhance the chances of a climate agreement.
Emissions of ammonia nitrogen and nitrogen oxide had also declined by 9.8 and 8.6 percent.
A number of countries including Canada, Britain and Australia have pledged nearly USD 2.5 billion to help the poor countries fight global warming.
Non-communicable diseases have recently overtaken communicable diseases as the leading causes of mortality and morbidity in India.
KolkataConcerned citizens of the eastern metropolis will walk together on Sunday, a day ahead of the global climate summit in Paris, to demand policy measures aligning agriculture, corporate, energ
Australia, Britain and Canada at a special session during the Commonwealth summit here pledged to spend billions of dollars in curbing climate change.
With the help of a new method to model heat wave magnitude, scientists have projected that extreme heat events are likely to increase both in severity and number during the next two decades.
It is being forecast that strong winds will bring in some respite as they will help in clearing away toxic pollutants from the air.
Billions of dollars in environmental aid were announced Friday as cities worldwide prepared for marches to pressure leaders heading for Paris to negotiate a historic pact to tame global warming.
A delegation from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will attend the highly anticipated climate summit scheduled to be held in Paris from November 30 to December 11.
Rising lake levels in China threaten migratory birds
Power and New and Renewable Energy Minister Piyush Goyal on Friday said the government plans to set up a $1 billion private equity fund for the renewable energy sector that would be initially seeded by state-run companies.
Ahead of global climate summit in Paris starting next week, Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar on Friday expressed hope that the world would be able to come out with a "good climate agreement" to combat global warming.
The runaway loss of ice from Antarctica as a result of global climate change could last for centuries, said a study on Friday.
Japan's Cabinet on Friday approved a plan for measures towards reducing global warming.
Japan reduced greenhouse gas emissions in fiscal 2014 for the first time in five years, the environment ministry announced on Friday.
A panda who rose to fame as the mascot of the 11th Asian Games held in 1990, will celebrate her 35th birthday - the equivalent of over 100 human years - on Saturday in Fuzhou, capital of China's Fujian province.
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Watch: Top 25 headlines @11:00 am
- PM Modi praises Zee News for Kanpur's Noorjahan story
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- SC asks Govinda to apologise for slapping a fan in 2008
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Parliamentary debate over alleged intolerance in India commences
- Global Warming - a war to be fought
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: What Varun Dhawan's little fan says to him for 'Dilwale'!
- Spirituality: Chant these 13 mantras for Surya Namaskar!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Don't think freedom of expression ever been so threatened: Nandita Das
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata