Authorities in Ghaziabad have illegally cut down over 5,600 trees in the last eight years, an environmental activist claimed on Thursday.
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has slapped a penalty of Rs. 15 lac on a former sarpanch and a gram sevak for felling 3000 trees in the forest area of a village.
Government today said that National Wildlife Board has cleared 81 projects in the past six months, of which nine fall under various tiger reserves and 27 are close to 10 km of wildlife sanctuaries.
Climate change is taking a toll on fishery resources with consequent ocean warming and rise in sea level, posing multiple threats to the marine ecosystem, Vice Chancellor of Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS), B Madhusoodana Kurup, said today.
Cleaning of river Ganga is expected to be completed by 2020, by which time desired results of initiatives taken up for the purpose will be visible, the government has said.
The National Green Tribunal today issued notice to around 3,000 illegal nurseries and private persons causing pollution on the floodplains of river Yamuna here.
Eco-sensitive zones may soon come up around the Sundarbans National Park in West Bengal, said a senior forest department official on Thursday.
Mexico's Profepa environmental protection agency has seized 377 wild animals from zoos that violated regulations.
Stating that Tiger T-24 alias 'Ustad', which was shifted out after the alleged death of a forest guard in May, was not a "man-eater", wildlife experts have urged Rajasthan Government to relocate the tiger to its habitat in Ranthambore National Park (RNP) at Sawaimadhopur.
Wildlife researchers Wednesday announced here that a species of frog discovered in South Goa's Netravali forest sanctuary has been named after State Range Forest Officer Prakash Salelkar as 'Indirana Salelkari'.
Union Environment Ministry is likely to finalise the amendments to the six green laws by October this year after consultations with legal experts and stakeholders.
Delhi High Court Wednesday expressed serious concern over high levels of particulate matters in the air affecting the health of the people in the national capital and directed the city government to take steps to check unregulated building activities and plant trees.
A deer breeding centre at a nature reserve in northeast China is being used as a staple food chain for wild endangered Siberian tigers.
Nepali officials are holding talks with the famed Corbett Tiger Reserve (CTR) in Uttarakhand to adopt its 'electronic I' (EI) surveillance system as an anti-poaching measure, its director said here on Wednesday.
Rising sea levels caused by climate change threaten to wipe out Sundarbans, a large mangrove forest area shared by India and Bangladesh, and thus world's beautiful Bengal tigers, according to a leading conservation organisation.
The Patna High Court Wednesday ordered regular desilting of the Ganga, which had moved five km away from the Patna town, but was dredged back to the original place acting on a high court directive.
Efficient use of the available natural resource and minimizing the wastage should be the driving point of the upcoming Sustainable Development Goals, says a new report.
The land under the Chesapeake Bay - the largest estuary in the US - is sinking rapidly and Washington DC could drop by six or more inches in the next century, adding to the problems of sea-level rise, researchers from University of Vermont have warned.
Besides our oceans and plants, the world's deserts may be storing a large portion of carbon dioxide emitted by human activities, a new study suggests.
Ahead of the crucial UN climate change conference in Paris later this year, France Tuesday said that India will play a "leading" role in the summit.
Several civil society groups have batted for empowerment of the most marginalised sections to ensure success of the country's proposed climate action plan -- Intended Nationally Designated Contributions (INDCs).
Haryana government Tuesday told the National Green Tribunal that maintaining a minimum flow of at least 10 cumecs of water at Hathnikund barrage in Yamuna as directed by it would be difficult during lean season but the Tribunal remained unconvinced.
Aimed at making the US a clean energy super power, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has set ambitious target of having enough renewable energy in place to power every home in America within 10 years.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday refused to modify its interim directions to clear encroachments on forest land by fruit growers by October, adding that electricity and water connections of the encroachers should be disconnected.
Bangladesh has only 106 tigers in the Sundarbans, the world's largest mangrove forest, a sharp decline from 440 in 2004 due to unchecked poaching of the endangered animals, following an India-Bangladesh survey, a top forest official said Monday.
India Monday said investment flows -- which can have green benefits -- cannot be treated as climate finance, that should ideally come from public funding or there should be a subvention for industries to adopt climate-friendly technologies.
The White House Monday said that more than a dozen of America's biggest companies have pledged to tackle climate change, backing President Barack Obama ahead of a global summit.
Yet another crocodile, this time a dead one, was spotted at Goa's popular Miramar beach on Monday morning.
Behold the wonders of nature! Flowers are nature's most beautiful creations, but how will you feel seeing a 6.5 feet high flower towering above you ?
Six new spider species have been discovered in Kerala as a result of research conducted by Biodiversity Research Centre of Christ College, Irinjalakuda. These new species have been spotted at Harithavanam located near the banks of the Aluva Sivarathri manappuram.
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- Special: 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's case history
- DNA: A shattered Rameswaram waits to pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- SC rejects Yakub Memon's plea against death warrant
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- President Pranab Mukherjee rejects Yakub Memon's mercy plea
- Three-storey building collapses in Thane, six dead
- Heavy rains trigger floods, landslides in Gujarat and Rajasthan
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- ISIS preparing to attack India, readying for 'final battle': Report
- Yakub Memon lawyer says 'no comments' when asked about Supreme Court's order
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh
- Taliban leader Mullah Omar is dead: Reports
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Stage set for Yakub Memon's execution; hangman arrives in Nagpur jail
- Sooraj Pancholi, Athiya Shetty not allowed to date?
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'