Orionid meteor shower to dazzle US skies as it peaks later this week!
New Delhi: Sky gazers across the United States are in for a treat later this week, as the Orionids meteor shower is about to bless the skies.
The spectacular meteor shower is associated with Halley's Comet and is an annual occurrence, that takes place sometime around late October.
As per Skymet Weather, it's predicted that there will be meteor shower on the night of October 21 and will continue well into the morning of October 22. However, it might be difficult to view due to the cloud cover, and the shining moon, full bright.
The shower appears to emerge from the constellation Orion – one of the brightest groups of stars in the sky, which is why the name.
The constellation is home to Rigel and Betelgeuse, as well as Orion's belt which is made up of three bright stars in a straight line.
The best time to watch the shower is between midnight and dawn, when the sky is darkest and the best views will be offered by the Plains and Southwest United States. Dark areas in the countryside and parks away from city lights are best.
You'll be lucky if the meteor shower hits its peak, because that's when one can view around 25 shooting stars an hour, travelling at around 41 miles per second, leaving behind a long trail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM