Appointing Cook is a big mistake by Flower
London: Former England captain Tony Greig feels the appointment of Alastair Cook as the ODI captain is a dangerous decision on part of team director Andy Flower.
Cook was made the captain despite the fact that he is not a regular in the ODI side. He was handed the role after Andrew Strauss decided to step down after the World Cup.
"They`ve made a guy captain of the one-day team who is not in the side. He wasn`t deemed good enough for the one-dayers in Australia or the World Cup. That`s deadly dangerous," Greig was quoted as saying by a UK newspaper.
The Englishman said Strauss should have carried on for a couple of years, which would have given some time to find if Cook was ready for ODIs.
"I would have had a long talk with Strauss and told him `We need you to carry on for another year or so`. By which time, England would find out for sure whether Cook really is good enough for one-day cricket.
"Now it seems the coach has more power. You see all these glowing things written about Andy Flower and England were desperate to keep him. That`s great, Flower is obviously doing a good job. But appointing Cook might be his first big mistake," he said.
The England captaincy has now been split with Strauss in charge of Tests, Cook in ODIs and Stuart Broad in Twenty20s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured