Australian Open 2013: Sloane Stephens stuns Serena Williams in quarterfinals
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 23:00

Australian Open 2013: Sloane Stephens stuns Serena Williams in quarterfinals
Zeenews Sports Bureau

Melbourne: American teenager Sloane Stephens defeated tournament favourite Serena Williams in three sets to enter the semi-final of the Australian Open on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old American won 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 and will now meet defending champion Victoria Azarenka in the last-four. This was her first grand slam quarter-final.

Williams hurt her back in the second set that needed medical attention. After being treated, she returned but didn’t look 100% as was clear from her serve and game.

Williams was 4-5 down in the second set when she sprained her back and went to the locker room to receive treatment.

After she returned, Stephens closed out the set but still faced a tough task to beat the hampered Williams, who later blamed her poor recent injury record for the defeat.

"I've had a tough two weeks between the ankle which is like this big every day, and my back, which started hurting," Williams said.

"I was hoping she had texted me right away. I thought maybe she was texting me during the match," I`m sure my grandparents are like freaking out," Stephens was quoted as saying by a news agency after the match.

The quarter-final loss ended Williams superb run that began with the Wimbledon last year – a tournament she went on to win for a fifth time. After that she won the gold medal at the London Olympics and also went on to win the US Open as well.

WITH IANS

First Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 23:00

comments powered by Disqus