Mumbai: The BCCI on Wednesday withdrew the fund embezzlement case against its former President Jagmohan Dalmiya and also lifted a four-year-old expulsion imposed on him, clearing the decks for his return to national cricket administration.
The 70-year-old former ICC President had been a pariah in Indian cricket administration for four years after he was accused of embezzling the 1996 World Cup funds in a lawsuit filed in the Bombay High Court in 2006.
The veteran administrator, who currently heads the Cricket Association of Bengal, has bounced back with the BCCI deciding to gave him relief in its Annual General Meeting here.
"The BCCI, at its Annual General Meeting held here today, has withdrawn the suit it has filed against Jagmohan Dalmiya in the Bombay High Court and it has also withdrawn the expulsion that was imposed on him in 2006," a statement from the Board read.
Dalmiya said he felt vindicated by the decision of the Cricket Board.
"I have all along been committed to the fair administration of the game of cricket. I would like to thank the BCCI and its members for acting fairly," he said.
The Dalmiya-BCCI stand off started in 2004, when his casting vote helped Ranbir Singh Mahendra beat Sharad Pawar in an acrimonious election.
Later, when Pawar came to power in the Board, Dalmiya was banned from BCCI meetings and an FIR was filed against him in 2006, accusing him of embezzling the 1996 World Cup funds, forcing him to step down as Cricket Association of Bengal President.
After a year-long legal battle, Dalmiya was allowed to contest elections again and he won back the CAB presidency by an overwhelming margin in 2008.
However, in March 2008, he was arrested in connection with misappropriation of BCCI funds and later released on bail.
According to the Police charges, Dalmiya misused Rs 2.90 crore from a bank account meant for the 1996 World Cup.