2014 Commonwealth Games: Three Indian judokas win their opening bouts in Glasgow
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
Glasgow: Three of the four Indian Judokas on Thursday started with victories in their respective opening rounds at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) Precinct.
Sushila Likmabam defeated her opponent Marie Medza Effa of Cameroon by seoi-nage with a yuko and the ippon. Effa was penalised with a shido. Now she will meet Aussie Amy Meyer in the women's 48kg quarterfinals.
In the men's section, Manjeet Nandal got the better of Jeremy Saywell of Malta thanks to his better attack. Both the judokas were penalised with a shido each. He will meet Asa Weithers of Barbados in the round of 16 in the men's 66 kg category later in the day.
Navjot Chana showed exemplary strength to beat Australia's Tom Pappas in the men's 60kg section with two yuko points, despite receiving three penalties. He will face Brandon Dodge of Wales in the quarters.
However, Shivani failed to fight back after conceding an early yuko to her Canadian opponent Jessica Klimkait. The Indian judoka subsequently lost the women's 57kg round of 16 bout by two yuko and an ippon.
Later today, Kalpana Thoudam will take on Hannah Trotter of Australia in women's 52kg quarter-final.
India has entered the judo competition in five categories – 48kg, 52kg and 57kg in the women's section and 60kg and 66kg in the men's section. The medal rounds of all the weight classes will also be held today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know