2014 Commonwealth Games: Three Indian judokas win their opening bouts in Glasgow
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
Glasgow: Three of the four Indian Judokas on Thursday started with victories in their respective opening rounds at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) Precinct.
Sushila Likmabam defeated her opponent Marie Medza Effa of Cameroon by seoi-nage with a yuko and the ippon. Effa was penalised with a shido. Now she will meet Aussie Amy Meyer in the women's 48kg quarterfinals.
In the men's section, Manjeet Nandal got the better of Jeremy Saywell of Malta thanks to his better attack. Both the judokas were penalised with a shido each. He will meet Asa Weithers of Barbados in the round of 16 in the men's 66 kg category later in the day.
Navjot Chana showed exemplary strength to beat Australia's Tom Pappas in the men's 60kg section with two yuko points, despite receiving three penalties. He will face Brandon Dodge of Wales in the quarters.
However, Shivani failed to fight back after conceding an early yuko to her Canadian opponent Jessica Klimkait. The Indian judoka subsequently lost the women's 57kg round of 16 bout by two yuko and an ippon.
Later today, Kalpana Thoudam will take on Hannah Trotter of Australia in women's 52kg quarter-final.
India has entered the judo competition in five categories – 48kg, 52kg and 57kg in the women's section and 60kg and 66kg in the men's section. The medal rounds of all the weight classes will also be held today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM