Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announces Rs.50 lakh each for squash doubles gold winners
Chennai: Lauding the performance of Dipika Pallikal and Joshna Chinappa, who won the squash doubles gold at the Commonwealth Games, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Sunday announced a cash award of Rs.50 lakh each to the winners.
In separate identical congratulatory letters to Pallikal and Chinappa, Jayalalithaa said she was delighted to learn of one more triumph in their sporting career, a gold medal in the squash women`s doubles event.
"I understand this is the first time that India has won a Commonwealth Games Gold Medal in squash. Yet again, you have done both the nation and Tamil Nadu proud. Kindly accept my heartiest congratulations on behalf of the people of Tamil Nadu on your splendid achievement."
Recalling the enhancement of cash award for sportspersons winning a Commonwealth gold medal to Rs. 50 lakh by her in 2011, she told the winners that each of them will be receiving it.
"I congratulate you and all those who have contributed to your success and wish you many more such laurels on behalf of the country and Tamil Nadu in future."
DMK President M Karunanidhi also congratulated the duo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police