Commonwealth games 2014: India men falter, women judokas impress again
Glasgow: Indian women judokas Sunibala Huidrom (-70kg) and Garima Choudhary (-63kg) Friday advanced to the quarterfinals at the Commonwealth Games here but Balvinder Singh (-73kg) and Vikender Singh (-81kg) both floundered in the men`s round of 32.
Huidrom beat Memory Zikhale of Botswana in the preliminary round of 16 bout via `Waza-ari` (half-point) while Garima registered a `Golden Score` win over Cameroon`s Bibiene Fopa.
In the men`s section, Balvinder Singh lost to Edson Madeira by a `Tomoe-nage` throw while Eric Jean Omgba Fouda ousted Vikender Singh through `Ippon` in a contest lasting just 53 seconds.
In the quarters, later in the day, Garima will take on Scotland`s Sarah Clark while Huidrom faces Australian Catherine Scott.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why