Commonwealth games 2014: India men falter, women judokas impress again
Glasgow: Indian women judokas Sunibala Huidrom (-70kg) and Garima Choudhary (-63kg) Friday advanced to the quarterfinals at the Commonwealth Games here but Balvinder Singh (-73kg) and Vikender Singh (-81kg) both floundered in the men`s round of 32.
Huidrom beat Memory Zikhale of Botswana in the preliminary round of 16 bout via `Waza-ari` (half-point) while Garima registered a `Golden Score` win over Cameroon`s Bibiene Fopa.
In the men`s section, Balvinder Singh lost to Edson Madeira by a `Tomoe-nage` throw while Eric Jean Omgba Fouda ousted Vikender Singh through `Ippon` in a contest lasting just 53 seconds.
In the quarters, later in the day, Garima will take on Scotland`s Sarah Clark while Huidrom faces Australian Catherine Scott.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list