Commonwealth Games 2014: Indian paddlers will find it tough to better Delhi medal haul
Glasgow: The Indian table tennis team at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games will find it tough to match the record medal tally of the Delhi edition.
India, who won five medals including a gold and silver in Delhi four years ago, begin their challenge with the team championships beginning here tomorrow.
The Indian men`s team spearheaded by Sharath Kamal, a three-time gold winner at at the Games, has been seeded third and finds himself in Pool C. It will play two matches on the opening day, against Vanuatu and Northern Ireland respectively.
The team comprising Sharath, Harmeet Desai and Soumyajit Ghoosh is aiming to do better than Delhi where it had to settle for a bronze against England and champions Singapore.
"The boys are are in good shape. It is good that we arrive here a week before the competition. It has helped us adjust to the conditions. There is no target as such but I feel we should get a minimum of three medals here," India`s foreign coach Peter Engel told PTI.
The team event format should make things interesting this time. The first two singles will be followed by a doubles rubber where either of the singles player teams up with the third one.
"The new format will make things exciting. It doesn`t allow you to have one dedicated doubles pairing. We will pick the combination for the third rubber depending on the opponents," added Engel.
The crux of the women`s team, which won a surprise silver four years, remains the same. Poulomi Ghatak is the senior most player in the company of Shamini Kumaresan and Madhurika Patkar. Mouma Das is the lone noticeable exclusion from the last edition`s squad.
They are seeded fourth and play Barbados and Kenya tomorrow.
Singapore are the top seeds in both the team events and are expected to retain their title.
Men: Sharath Kamal, Anthony Amalraj, Soumyajit Ghosh, Harmeet Desai and Sanil Shetty.
Women: Poulomi Ghatak, Madhurika Patkar, Shamini Kumaresan, Ankita Das and Manika Batra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing