Commonwealth Games: India blow away Ghana 5-0 in mixed team badminton
Glasgow: The Indian badminton team launched its Commonwealth Games campaign with a dominating 5-0 win over minnows Ghana in a Group B match of the mixed team event at the 20th edition of the multi-sport event here on Thursday.
India hardly broke any sweat as Parupalli Kashyap started the proceeding, spanking Daniel Sam 21-6 21-16 in a 27-minute men`s singles match to put his team in the driver`s seat right from the start.
World Championship bronze medallist P V Sindhu then taught Stella Amasah a lesson or two in badminton with a 21-7 21-5 victory in the women`s singles competition to give India a 2-0 lead.
Men`s doubles pair of Akshay Dewalkar and Pranaav Chopra thrashed Emmanuel Donkor and Abraham Ayittey 21-7 21-11 in just 22 minutes to make it 3-0 in India`s favour.
Commonwealth Games gold medallist pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa then another 17 minutes to brush aside Evelyn Botwe and Diana Archer as India continued their rampaging run.
Finally, P C Thulasi and Kidambi Srikanth -- both singles players -- paired up and trounced another makeshift combination of Sam and Amasah 21-5 21-9 in a mixed doubles match to put an end to Ghana`s misery at the Emirates Arena.
India will next take on Uganda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!