Commonwealth Games: India men`s hockey team defeats Wales 3-1
Glasgow: India on Friday began their Commonwealth Games men`s hockey campaign with a facile 3-1 win over lowly Wales in a Pool A tie at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre here.
In what was a lazy and lacklustre beginning, India at half-time were held to a 1-1 scoreline by Wales, who are ranked 22 places below in the FIH Rankings. But a much better second half performance that saw two goals being scored put India through.
V.R. Raghunath opened the scoring for India from a penalty corner in the 20th minute. But his opener was cancelled out just three minutes by a stinging shot from Andrew Cornick.
It was another penalty corner post-break that gave India the lead for the second time in the match. R. Singh was at hand in 42nd minute to turn the ball into the back of the net.
Gurwinder Singh Chandi put the match beyond Wales in the 47th minute from India`s first open-play goal in the match.
India, who have been clubbed alongside Wales, Scotland, and South Africa besides world champions and reigning gold medallist Australia, will next take on the hosts Saturday before taking on mighty Australia July 29, followed by their last pool encounter against South Africa slated for July 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Who is this little singer with beautiful voice that even Shreya Ghoshal wants to meet! Watch video
- Nita Ambani provided a VVIP security cover
- Is Parliament video bigger security breach than inviting ISI at air base: AAP
- VVIP security cover for Nita Ambani
- Over two lakh pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra, another batch leaves Jammu