Commonwealth Games: India men`s hockey team defeats Wales 3-1
Glasgow: India on Friday began their Commonwealth Games men`s hockey campaign with a facile 3-1 win over lowly Wales in a Pool A tie at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre here.
In what was a lazy and lacklustre beginning, India at half-time were held to a 1-1 scoreline by Wales, who are ranked 22 places below in the FIH Rankings. But a much better second half performance that saw two goals being scored put India through.
V.R. Raghunath opened the scoring for India from a penalty corner in the 20th minute. But his opener was cancelled out just three minutes by a stinging shot from Andrew Cornick.
It was another penalty corner post-break that gave India the lead for the second time in the match. R. Singh was at hand in 42nd minute to turn the ball into the back of the net.
Gurwinder Singh Chandi put the match beyond Wales in the 47th minute from India`s first open-play goal in the match.
India, who have been clubbed alongside Wales, Scotland, and South Africa besides world champions and reigning gold medallist Australia, will next take on the hosts Saturday before taking on mighty Australia July 29, followed by their last pool encounter against South Africa slated for July 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel