Commonwealth Games: Indian para-powerlifter caught for doping
Glasgow: Indian contingent at the Commonwealth Games was today left red-faced after para-powerlifter Sachin Choudhary returned positive for a banned substance in an out-of-competition test conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency last month.
Choudhary, who was a late inclusion in the Indian team for the Games, left Glasgow on the pretext of his father`s ill-health but it is now learnt that he was caught for doping in a test conducted by the NADA before leaving the country.
"It is true that Sachin tested positive for a banned substance. The test was conducted by the NADA around a month back. It is an unfortunate incident," a member of the para-sports contingent told PTI on condition of anonimity.
"He will not return to Glasgow and his name will be removed from the starting list in the team managers` meeting," he added.
"Sachin is an experienced para-athlete and medal prospect. He took part in 2012 London Paralympics and also World Championships."
Para-powerlifting competition in the Games is to be held on August 2.
It is also learnt that Choudhary`s name was removed from the list of those recommended for the Games after the Sports Ministry asked the Paralympics Committee of India (PCI) to recommend medal prospects only.
"I think the PCI recommended 16 names first but the sports ministry wanted to know who were the medal prospects. Then Choudhary`s name was not there in the list sent again to the IOA. But somehow his name was included later on," the official said.
Paralympics Committee of India President Rajesh Tomar, however, feigned ignorance about the issue, saying that he has no knowledge of it.
"I don`t have any such information. If at all there is any such communication about an athlete found positive then it must be sent to Secretary`s office in Bangalore. I have not got any such information," he said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!