Commonwealth Games: Pallikal-Chinappa stun World No. 1 Malaysian pair in doubles
Glasgow: Squash stars Dipika Pallikal and Joshana Chinappa made a big stride towards ending India`s medal drought at the Commonwealth Games by beating the mighty Malaysian pair of World No.1 Nicol David and Low Wee Wern in the women`s doubles here on Wednesday.
The fifth seeds from India brushed aside David and Wee Wern 11-8 11-5 for their second win in as many matches in Pool D. Pallikal and Chinappa face Megan Craig and Kylie Lindsay of New Zealand in their last league match later today.
David is a legend of the game and on Monday retained her singles title at the Commonwealth Games.
The surprising result also showed that the India duo`s win over the formidable combine in a tri-nation tournament in Malaysia was no fluke.
Pallikal and Saurav Ghosal are scheduled to play 12th seeds Samantha Cornett and Shawn Delierre from Canada in the mixed doubles later today.
Pallikal had reached the singles quarterfinals and Ghosal became the first Indian to reach the semifinals at the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict