Commonwealth Games: Seema, Krishna qualify for women`s discus throw final
Glasgow: Both Seema Punia and Krishna Poonia advanced to the women`s discus throw final but while Seema`s throw put her in second position, Krishna was placed a lowly 11th in the qualification round of the 2014 Commonwealth Games at the Hampden Park Stadium.
It was already a memorable day for Indian athletics with men`s discus thrower Vikas Gowda giving the country its first gold medal in the discipline at the Glasgow Games.
Seema and Krishna, who won the gold in Delhi Games four years ago, gave the Indian contingent something more to cheer about with their qualification Thursday night.
After failing to get on the board with her first two attempts, Seema, who has a personal best of 64.64 metres, threw 58.44 in her third attempt to finish behind Australia`s Dani Samuels (64.53).
Krishna too missed with her first two throws but in her third attempt registered a distance of 51.36 metres to scrape through to the final.
The top 12 athletes in the qualification round advance to the final.
Seventeen discus throwers were due to participate in the event but Cameroon`s Auriel Dongmo failed to start.
The final will take place Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan