Commonwealth Games: Sharath Kamal, Anthony Amalraj shine in table tennis
Glasgow: Indian paddlers had a decent outing in the Commonwealth Games Wednesday with Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj winning their respective mixed doubles third round matches before pairing up to win in men`s doubles as well, here.
Kamal and Shamini Kumaresan defeated Malaysian combo of Ying Ho and Chee Feng Leong 11-5 11-8 11-8 in the third round.
They had spanked Uganda`s Paul Moody Mutambuze and Ludia Magandlen Natunga 11-4 11-4 11-4 in the second round.
Amalraj and Madhurika Patkar too made it to the next round after beating Dexter St Louis and Reann Chung of Trinidad and Tobago 11-4 11-9 9-11 11-4. They had earlier beaten another Trinidad and Tobago pair Aaron Wilson and Catherine Spicer 11-4 11-8 11-9.
In men`s doubles, Sharath and Amalraj thrashed Simasiku Kalaluka and Friday Ng`andu of Zambia 3-0 (11-6 11-4 11-3).
In women`s singles, Manika Batra thrashed New Zealand`s Annie Yang 11-5 11-3 11-6 11-6, while Madhurika Patkar defeated Sri Lanka`s Ishara Madurangi 12-10 11-9 11-6 and Shamini Kumaresan eked out a 11-3 6-11 11-4 9-11 11-9 8-11 11-7 win over Ganiat Ogundele of Nigeria.
However, Soumyajit Ghosh and Poulomi Ghatak went down fighting 2-3 (11-9 10-12 11-8 1-11 8-11) against England`s S Walker and K le Fevre in the third round mixed doubles match. The duo had beaten Tabish Khurshid and Abeera Sheikh 11-8 11-5 11-4 in the second round.
Soumyajit, though, teamed up with Harmeet Desai to defeat Trinidad and Tobago`s Yuvraaj Dookram and Aaron Wilson 3-0 (11-6 11-7 11-6) in men`s doubles second round.
Batra and Sanil Shetty too failed to cross the third round after they were outsmarted by Tengteng Liu and Karen Li 11-6 12-10 11-8. The Indian pair had earlier trounced Trevor Farley and Sherrice Felix of Barbados 11-2 11-5 11-3 in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!