Commonwealth Games: Young lifter Santoshi Matsa gets bronze in 53 kg category
Glasgow: India`s good show in the weightlifting arena continued as young Andhra Pradesh girl Santoshi Matsa grabbed the bronze medal in the women`s 53 kg category at the Commonwealth Games here on Friday.
This is India`s fifth medal from the weightlifting event after winning two gold, a silver and a bronze on the opening day of the event.
20-year-old Santoshi lifted a total of 188 kg in snatch and clean and jerk to get the bronze as 16-year-old Nigerian schoolgirl Chika Amalaha won the gold with a total lift of 196 kg. Veteran Papua and New Guinea lifter Dika Toua, who is a mother of two, took the silver with a total lift of 193 kg.
India`s Swati Singh, who was placed third at the end of the snatch event finished fourth with 183 kg. It was second time that Swati missed out on a podium having finished fourth during the last edition in the last edition.
Santoshi tried a lift of 109 kg on the third clean and jerk attempt but failed. The successful attempt wouldn`t have ensured anything more than bronze though as both Amalaha and Toua went on to break the Games Record with a lift of 111 kg each in the clean and jerk section.
Swati, on her part, failed on two attempts to lift 103 kg and 106 kg respectively as she had to settle with a total score of 183 kg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar