CWG 2014: Boxers Sarita, Devendro settle for silver each
Laishram Sarita Devi and Laishram Devendro Singh settled for a silver each after losing their respective final bouts as India collected two medals on the concluding day of boxing competitions in the 20th Commonwealth Games here on Saturday.
Sarita lost to Shelley Watts of Australia after a gritty fight in women`s lightweight (57-60kg) category final while her younger brother was beaten by Paddy Barnes of Northern Ireland in the men`s light-flyweight (46-49kg) final at the Hydro Arena.
Devendro was no match for Barnes and the unanimous 3-0 verdict in favour of the Irish reflected that.
With the two silver today, India has bagged three medals from boxing with Pinki Jangra having won a bronze after losing her semifinal bout against Michaela Walsh of Northern Ireland in women`s 51kg category yesterday.
Sarita, a former World Championships silver medallist, dished out a gritty fight as she was on level terms till the midway in the four-round eight-minute bout.
The Manipuri mother of a son, however, lost steam in the later stages and was out-punched by her stronger and taller opponent to settle for a silver. Sarita lost 0-3 in a unanimous verdict of the three judges.
Sarita received a flurry of punches from Watts in the third and fourth rounds which rattled the Indian and that tilted the scale in favour of her Australian opponent. All the three judges` identical cumulative scores of 39-37, 39-37, 39-37 were in favour of the Australian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!