CWG 2014: Boxers Sarita, Devendro settle for silver each
Laishram Sarita Devi and Laishram Devendro Singh settled for a silver each after losing their respective final bouts as India collected two medals on the concluding day of boxing competitions in the 20th Commonwealth Games here on Saturday.
Sarita lost to Shelley Watts of Australia after a gritty fight in women`s lightweight (57-60kg) category final while her younger brother was beaten by Paddy Barnes of Northern Ireland in the men`s light-flyweight (46-49kg) final at the Hydro Arena.
Devendro was no match for Barnes and the unanimous 3-0 verdict in favour of the Irish reflected that.
With the two silver today, India has bagged three medals from boxing with Pinki Jangra having won a bronze after losing her semifinal bout against Michaela Walsh of Northern Ireland in women`s 51kg category yesterday.
Sarita, a former World Championships silver medallist, dished out a gritty fight as she was on level terms till the midway in the four-round eight-minute bout.
The Manipuri mother of a son, however, lost steam in the later stages and was out-punched by her stronger and taller opponent to settle for a silver. Sarita lost 0-3 in a unanimous verdict of the three judges.
Sarita received a flurry of punches from Watts in the third and fourth rounds which rattled the Indian and that tilted the scale in favour of her Australian opponent. All the three judges` identical cumulative scores of 39-37, 39-37, 39-37 were in favour of the Australian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video