CWG 2014: India beat Scotland 2-1 to finish fifth in women`s hockey
Glasgow: The Indian women`s hockey team secured a 2-1 win over hosts Scotland to finish a disappointing fifth in the 20th Commonwealth Games here on Friday.
Anupa Barla and Poonam Rani scored two quick field goals in the second half to help their team earn a consolation win.
Nikki Kid converted a penalty corner for Scotland.
It was for the second successive Commonwealth Games, India failed to win a medal. They were champions in the 2002 edition at Manchester.
The first half was rather tepid with both teams unable to convert chances.
They picked up pace in the second half which saw three goals being scored in the space of four minutes.
Barla slammed her low shot into the net after picking up a deflection in the danger area. Scotland took no time to equalise. Kid hammered the ball to the top left side of the post, giving India custodian not enough time to react.
Soon after, an unmarked Rani in the rival D gave India the decisive lead but smashing the ball comfortably past Scotland goalkeeper Amy Gibson.
"Having played Scotland the last time, they beat us 4-3.
It was nice to come here and win today (Friday)," said Rani.
The result could have been different had Scotland scored more from their eight penalty corners. They just managed one.
"It was a game of two halves. Scotland took over the game in the second part. We conceded a silly goal," said Neil Hawgood, India`s Australian coach.
"In the end everything went well for us. We got the points to keep in the same ranking spot. It`s been a fantastic experience. It is good for us to play in this environment since we have the Olympic qualification later in the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you