CWG 2014: L Sarita Devi in quarters, defending champion Manoj out
Glasgow: Indian pugilist L Sarita Devi advanced to the quarterfinals after winning in women`s 57-60 kg opening bout but it was curtains for defending champion Manoj Kumar, who lost his last 8 bout in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Sarita knocked out Nigeria`s Kehinde Obareh 2-0 in the last 16 clash. The 32-year-old Manipuri boxer notched up 10:9 points in both the rounds.
The Indian will next take on Welsh Charlene Jones in the quarterfinals tomorrow.
For Manoj Kumar, in the men`s lightweight 64kg bout, the Games ended rather early as he proved to be no match for England`s Samuel Maxwell, who registered a 3-0 victory over his opponent from India. The Englishman won with identical scorelines of 27:30 in each of the three rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today