CWG 2014: L Sarita Devi in quarters, defending champion Manoj out
Glasgow: Indian pugilist L Sarita Devi advanced to the quarterfinals after winning in women`s 57-60 kg opening bout but it was curtains for defending champion Manoj Kumar, who lost his last 8 bout in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Sarita knocked out Nigeria`s Kehinde Obareh 2-0 in the last 16 clash. The 32-year-old Manipuri boxer notched up 10:9 points in both the rounds.
The Indian will next take on Welsh Charlene Jones in the quarterfinals tomorrow.
For Manoj Kumar, in the men`s lightweight 64kg bout, the Games ended rather early as he proved to be no match for England`s Samuel Maxwell, who registered a 3-0 victory over his opponent from India. The Englishman won with identical scorelines of 27:30 in each of the three rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!