CWG 2014: L Sarita Devi in quarters, defending champion Manoj out
Glasgow: Indian pugilist L Sarita Devi advanced to the quarterfinals after winning in women`s 57-60 kg opening bout but it was curtains for defending champion Manoj Kumar, who lost his last 8 bout in the 20th Commonwealth Games here today.
Sarita knocked out Nigeria`s Kehinde Obareh 2-0 in the last 16 clash. The 32-year-old Manipuri boxer notched up 10:9 points in both the rounds.
The Indian will next take on Welsh Charlene Jones in the quarterfinals tomorrow.
For Manoj Kumar, in the men`s lightweight 64kg bout, the Games ended rather early as he proved to be no match for England`s Samuel Maxwell, who registered a 3-0 victory over his opponent from India. The Englishman won with identical scorelines of 27:30 in each of the three rounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly